Monday, November 16, 2009

It is Big Papa's turn!!

I have wanted to add my own entry here for quite some time now, but I keep having a hard time finding the free time to do it. The sad thing is that everyone I talk to is telling me that if I think I don’t have time now…..just wait!! So, in that spirit, I made the time.


First and foremost, I want to give some recognition to the one person that has been absolutely phenomenal these past 9 months and who has made this first pregnancy a breeze. Yes, that is right, I want to give that person a well deserved pat on the back ….so, I will give myself a quick pat right now! Just kidding. I have to give all the praises possible to my wife.


Most people probably don’t know this, because she has not even acted like she was carrying a child, but she has truly been amazing these past 9 months (correction…ALMOST 9 months). The complaints that she should and could have vocalized are silent. Any discomfort, pain or unease is always masked with a smile and laughter. She also faced one of the biggest life changing events we can experience with grace and stability that I am in awe of. I just pray that when I am called upon to be her partner for the delivery that I am able to give back to her some of the strength that she has shown me. I am very blessed to have her by my side in this life and thank God that Peanut will have the privilege to call her mother.


To sum up the past month, I would say the theme has been…..getting ready. Although I dropped out of Boy Scouts at Webelos (don’t even know if I am spelling it right) I am sure that Amanda made it all the way through the program and became an Eagle Scout because we are going to be prepared thanks to her. We celebrated Halloween this year by getting our house decorated for Christmas! We have cleaned the house from top to bottom and have the furniture, swings, etc. ready to roll for the little one’s arrival. I quickly have learned patience in putting together toys and that I can no longer throw away the useless paperwork such as a warranty card so that we can be notified of any pending product recalls.


This past weekend we attended the one day crash course for labor and delivery that was put on by our hospital. I think that Amanda learned several strong breathing techniques and is going to be a great coach and partner in getting me through this experience! I am happy to say that we did make it through the whole class and I was also able to keep the majority of my comments to myself. I practiced good restraint and would make my comments to Amanda to gain approval before blurting anything out to the class. I think that the only thing that the lady teaching the breathing and relaxation techniques accomplished was raising 18 pregnant ladies blood pressure!! We also got the cupboards stocked so that we can be ready to go with some quick and easy meals after Peanut joins us. I lovingly joked that we did grocery shopping for Peanut’s first 18 years of life!


This upcoming weekend brings a class on infant care at the hospital and the soon to be Foster Grandparent’s to town. They will be completing the furniture additions by bringing down a rocking chair that Leigh has recovered and refinished, so we are excited for that. Plus Julie is going to doing some baking with Amanda for some Christmas treats that everyone can enjoy when they come to see Peanut, but that is if Leigh and I don’t polish them off on Sunday.


We hope that everyone is doing well and will be in touch soon with the details of Peanut's birth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment